Johor Bahru Old Chinese Temple
Johor Bahru Old Chinese Temple is located in Jalan Trus, Johor Bahru. The temple is surrounded by modern skyscrapers. It is one of the oldest structures in Johor Bahru.
The temple is a place of worship and a symbol of unity among Five Chinese Dialect Groups which are "Teochew", "Hoklo (Hokkien)", "Cantonese", "Hakka" and "Hainan". It was built during the 19th Century by the Head of Ngee Heng Company and various Chinese community leaders.
The temple hosts 5 Deities. Each of the deities are separately worshipped by "Teochew", "Hoklo (Hokkien)", "Cantonese", "Hakka" and "Hainan" people. Every year in the first lunar month of 20-23rd, the Temple organizes its annual Chingay known as the Parade of Deities.
Image by: Terence Ong
Daily: 7.00 a.m - 5.00 p.m
Adult: RM 2.00
Child: RM 1.00
Hear From Others
t's not a grand building nor is its architecture extraordinary. But, its significance is far larger than its small physical presence - it is the spiritual heart of Johor Bahru's Chinese community.
Unlike other Chinese temples that usually bear the name of deities or clans, the Johor Ancient Chinese Temple is believed to be the first Chinese temple in Malaysia to be named after a state.
Hutan Bandar is located between Jalan Tasek Utara Road and Jalan Yahya Awal, Johor Bahru. It covers an area of 50 acres and only about 1.5 km from the city center. The forest was developed by the Research and Consultancy Unit of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia in 1987. The aim is to create a special recreation that integrates with the original element and minimize the tree cutting.
Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory was first open at 1919. This little bakery offers delicious buns, cakes and biscuits baked in a charcoal oven. The bakery is located along Jalan Tan Hiok Nee street. The place still retain the old style like it was almost a hundred year ago. It is mostly untouched except for the restoration of the oven roof.
Istana Bukit Serene is the royal palace and official residence of the Sultan of Johor, located in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The palace was built facing the Straits of Johor and completed in 1933.